Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Kathy Tidswell - Fibre Artist Exhibition

Today, hubby and I took a tour at the Charlotte Street Art Center. It was an exhibit of Kathy Tidswell, a nationally recognized fibre artist. Her speciality is thread painting. She won an award by CQA for Teacher of the Year and teaches her techniques all over. She is sharing her talent this summer in a number of thread painting classes that she is teaching in the EdVentures program.

There were over 30 pieces in this exhibit, but I'll only show you a few. To get the true sense of how beautiful the pieces are, you need to visit in person. My camera just can't do them justice.

I've seen this first piece before in the NB Lt. Governor's gallery. She calls it the Bank Machine Blues. I love how she cleverly used the stitching to put the "CANADA" on the note. I really love the play on words and the oversize money.



The next three pictures are of a landscape scene painting that Kathy oil painted herself. Then from her own paining, she stitched a thread painting depicting the same scene from her own oil paining. Then the third picture is a quilt that she made and used the same painting as the inspiration. She used and applique technique.

I thought it was cool to see the same picture used in all three types of her hand/machine working styles. It made for a really interesting display.












The final one is my absolute favorite. It's based on Vermeer's "The Girl with the Pearl Earring". I listened to this book a couple of years ago I looked for the painting on the Internet after finishing the book and it's exactly as I had pictured it in my mind as I listened to the audio. I saw another of Vermeer's work at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The stitch work on this girl is stunning and the frame style really shows off the work. It's absolutely beautiful. It was the favorite of my hubby too.

This was a lovely exhibition Kathy. Congratulations.

1 comment:

Linda H said...

Yes, I must get in to see Kathy's exhibit too... I'll put that on my To Do List...
I have "Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts" by Oxmoor House if you wish to borrow it...