Friday, July 24, 2009

Frogs for dessert anyone?

My sister and our cousin Sandra always called these yummy no-bake cookies "Frogs". I've always found that an awful image... "eating a frog" that is.

I first made them when I was a young housewife - almost 35 years ago. The recipe came from a home made cookbook made by the Fundy 4-H Sewing and Handicrafts Classes in Hillsburn Nova Scotia. In looking through the acknowledgments in the book, it looks like around the Lawrencetown area in the Annapolis Valley. Last names of many of the leaders of this 4-H group were Longmires, Hamiltons, Hallidays, Potter, Chute, Brown and Kaye. Funny, my sister now lives near there, although she didn't when I first got this book in 1974. I wonder if she knows any of these families now..

I really like this recipe because it makes a perfect 48 macaroons using my small one ounce scoop and the ingredients list is simple. You can make them up in 10 minutes flat. Why not give them a try.

Chocolate Macaroons

Bring these 3 items to a hard boil for 30 seconds in a medium size saucepan.
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening

Remove from heat and add the following:
2 heaping tablespoons cocoa
2 cups oatmeal
2 cups coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all the ingredients well and drop by spoonfuls (or scoopfuls) onto waxed paper. Let set for 20 minutes. Be careful, the mix is hot.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, I have to make these!

pwl said...

These remind me of the cookies mom used to make when we were small. My brother and I were always told to wait until they cooled before we took one - but somehow, there were always these telltale brown marks on the waxed paper... LOL

Now I'm wishing there was a diabetic version of the recipe :-(

Donna's chitchat said...

I first tasted these when Aunt Queenie use to make them when we came to visit. In my little world I thought she made them just for me. Sandra and would make a batch and eat the whole thing... hot!!!! I made them for years, and our cafeteria borrowed the recipe and I always get one from them. I haven't made them in years... too tempting to have them in the house... yum... Frogs.

MissesStitches said...

I remember those cookies, too! We just called them Chocolate No-Bake Cookies, which isn't nearly as colorful as "Frogs!" And I've made them many times since my childhood. They were good to do on a hot day because you didn't have to heat up the oven/kitchen.