Sunday, November 8, 2009

More small sewing projects for School Christmas Craft table

I've really enjoyed making more stuff for the Christmas shopping table at the triplets school. Here are more things I'm adding to the box.
Criss Cross coffee mug coasters. I'll pin them in sets of two. These are super easy to make and you can follow the easy tutorial here. When I have left over quilting cotton from making a quilt, I usually see if I can get a 4.5" strip and put it away just to make these coasters.
These baby bibs were mostly made when I came across them earlier this week. All I had to do was add the Velcro around the neck. I recall getting a $10 bag of these fabric scraps from Suttles and Seawinds in Nova Scotia over 10 years ago, and I as trying to use up some of the fabric. Obviously I forgot that I made these a long time ago because we've had 6 grandchildren, and these never got pulled out to be used. I'm glad I just came across them and have a good use for them.
.
These taggie blankets came together quickly. I thought some child might like to buy this for their mother if she's going to have a baby. I've only been making these for about a year, but everyone seems to really like them. Aurora drags around the very first one I made. Because it was a prototype to see if she'd like it, it had ugly colored ribbons, and not so nice colors of silky fabric on the back. She was just a baby and didn't care about colors. When she has a quiet time before going to bed, she likes to hold the blanket up close to her face and without even looking at the taggie, she flicks the ribbons and plays with them with her little fingers.
.
I also have made a bunch of luggage tags. My sister recommended making some Dad things because they're always hard to buy for. I don't have a lot of masculine fabrics in my stash, so I bought a half a yard of camouflage fabric. Not my favorite, but I did make half the luggage tags out of it and they will be manly.

3 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

You stir up fond memories of when Mom and Aunt Angeline and Aunt Tony would do up a box of fun stuff for us to sell at our School fundraiser. So much fun stuff... What a nice grammie you are!

MissesStitches said...

Such wonderful "gifties" you've made here. Good for you. I remember my kids shopping at those stalls--I thought it was such a good idea, but that was before I made very many things myself.

jovaliquilts said...

Those taggie blankets are great! I've seen kids with them and you've inspired me to make some.