Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sewing small projects for the school Christmas shopping table

Next month, the triplets will be able to go shopping at the schools Christmas craft and shopping table. But before that, all the kids and families are to contribute to the shopping table. So I'm making some things for the table. I love sewing little projects so this fun for me. I also have lots of fabrics in my stash to use.

First, I'm making some Wonder Wallets. What a fun little design from Lazy Girl designs. These came together just fine for my first ones. You can get 2 Wonder wallets out of one fat quarter. If you have 2 different fat quarters, you can mix and match colors of the pockets and get 4 wonder wallets. This pattern is great for using scraps of fabric that are at least 5" wide.

Next, I made some shoe bags. I have three made so far. I probably won't make any more because my serger is not stitching right, and I can't bear to fight with it.

I have a stack of Christmas and girly luggage tags cut out and that will be tomorrow's little project. I should be able to finish at least a dozen tomorrow. There are many free patterns on the Internet, but I'm using my own tried and tested little luggage tag pattern. The free pattern is linked at the top of my blog sidebar, in the Sewing Tutorial box.
My sister, who works at a very active elementary school in Nova Scotia says that these gift tables really are really fun for the kids to do some shopping. She said they always need more things for Dads that the kids can buy, so I'm on the hunt for small crafty things to make for Dads. I'm thinking masculine luggage tags. Do you have any other suggestions?

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hmmm...how about a nail pouch? Denim works well; if you have fleece, a scarf can be made pretty quickly, or even a toque.

Anonymous said...

You so inspire me Gail. I can hardly wait to retire so i can sew to my hearts content & be able to such great things like this. Your grandchildren will love it too! I am going to check out the freebies for sure. LB