Thursday, April 22, 2010

Working on my Beauty

I have my Batik Beauty all quilted. It was nice to play with my Juki for the first time in a few months. All that is left to do is the binding. My machine that has the quarter inch foot is in being serviced, but I'll have it back on Tuesday. I'll show you the finished Beauty then.

It's always hard to decide on quilting. I put a ton of thought on how to quilt the center part but didn't actually come to a final decision until I sat down to stitch this morning. It turns out that the quilting on the center part doesn't really show up that good on the batiks. I'll try to get a better shot of it on Tuesday.

But I do love how the variegated thread shows up on the dark background of the points. It kinda represents little licks of flame, as in the a fireball.

I guess, I would label this as organic machine quilting as opposed to eclectic like the stitching I did earlier this week on Lanaya's quilt. My organic as in lots of subtle curves, and no straight line quilting at all.

BTW: Lanaya's mother loved the quilt. She looked at all the stitching and kept saying wow. She noticed all the little hearts. Like I predicted, she said, "Oh, I'm going to keep that for good", so I told her, to please please use it, and wash it lots, and I'll make her another in a couple of years. She said she would so that made me happy. She couldn't wait to show it to her aunt. I felt proud to give it to her.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

The New York Beauty looks fantastic, the quilting really adds to it!

Karen said...

Beautiful quilting, Gail. I love how you superimposed another spike over the one in the patchwork. Can't wait to see it all finished!

Quilting Queen said...

And so you should feel proud, it is a beautiful quilt...an heirloom. Can't wait to see the New York Beauty when it's done, that little peek is intriguing...

MissesStitches said...

Your quilting here looks just beautiful, Gail. I love the design you chose. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

You are sew creative my friend. I so wish I had just a tiny bit of your talent. I so love the machine quilting. Makes my Beauty look so boring. Great work!
Lucy