Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sussex Quilt Show

The girls at the Sussex Quilt Guild should be so proud.  What a lovely show.  Most of the quilts were traditional quilts, and lots of scrappy quilts.  Traditional and Scrappy are right up my alley.

You've all been to shows where you have to pick your favorites.   This was no different, we had to pick a favorite large and a favorite small.  So, I'll show you what I chose. 

My favorite large quilt was this quilt.  It's called
Sylvia's Quilt by Gail Fearon from Sussex.  She's a blogging buddy and I had seen this this quilt earlier this year.   I happened to see Gail at the show and it was nice to connect in person.
 
She told me that this quilt is made from batiks that her friend Sylvia gave her.  I especially love that she hand quilted this quilt.  I love the big feathery design.   




 My favorite small piece was this Log Cabin house.  The Friday Girls will find this as a coincidence.  We had a conversation about this quilt pattern at our coffee just this past Friday.  Our friend Joanne is making a larger version of this quilt.  I'm not sure if it's the same pattern but it has a similar look.  It's totally made of small log cabin blocks.    It was just beautiful.
 
I've seen this Star quilt at almost every quilt show this year.  It's driving me crazy.  I really want to make it.  I guess I'm going to have to put it on my to-do list.  Maybe if I cut a kit, this might be a great one to make while snowbirding in South Carolina this year.  

I really like the scrappy look of this quilt called Common Ground by Betty Stewart.  I suspect it was a Bali Pop.  It does look like simple pattern, but I found it so appealing.  Just the right amount of color.


This Trip around the world is stunning.  I loved all the colors.  I've never done one of these, but I love how the maker of this quilt chose 3 fabrics in the came color for each wave of color.  



After going around twice to look at all the quilts, and writing in my ballot, I sat down by myself to have a cup of tea and a cookie. I was so pleased that a couple of you came to sit with me.  I immediately felt how warm and welcoming you all are.  We chit chatted like we were old buddies, and I didn't even get your names.

So, congratulations to the Sussex girls.  Great Job. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing us a few of the quilts. Wish that I could have been there. Linda G

Dolores said...

Thanks for this. I haven't been to a quilt show yet this fall. They have all been a bit too far away.

Karen said...

I enjoyed the tour of the show; traditional quilts really speak to me and there's some beauties here. And you're right about those Sussex Vale girls - they are a friendly bunch for sure!

Elisha said...

Oh these are just beautiful! I had to stop by and tell you I ended up having to order a 10 degree wedge ruler (could not find ANY around here), and it just came in the mail - can't wait to start a table runner!
What's the pattern name for the darker quilt that you mentioned cutting a quilt for? The color contrast is striking.

GailM. said...

The pattern for the quilt with the large star in the middle is called "Monterrey Medallions" by Atkinson Designs. I had a quick look on Amazon, but it doesn't look like this 2005 book is available anymore.

Sandra said...

I LOVE that common ground (Betty Stewart) quilt. Saw one like that (don't think the same one) at Quispamsis last month.
Does anyone know where I can find the pattern? I tried Google, but no avail.
thanks!
jjandarh@hotmail.com