Wednesday, May 15, 2019

A Viewers Choice Ribbon for Abby


A viewers Choice for Abby was presented to me last
evening at our quilt guilds closing banquet. (thanks Linda H. for the photo)

I decided to make Abigail last fall.  See, it all started last year when a friend, Kathy S. from Alberta, made a quilted cow and it was so different, that I knew I had to make one.  But could I actually do it?   I kept my project to myself knowing that if it came out good, I would use it for our Guild quilt show.  And also I would need a project to do while away on our winter snowbird trip.  I started planning my kit.   I rummaged through my stash to find a whole bunch of different fabrics.   Finally time was closing in, and I bundled up my final choices and this would be become my kit.  It fit in a brown paper lunch bag.  We arrived in Florida and I couldn't wait until Christmas was over so I could start my fun secret project.   The dining room table was cleared, and the work on Abby began.  Friends and neighbours came by every couple of days to check on her progress.    They loved seeing Abby come to life.   

Well, here are a few progress photos.

Outlined my marked pattern with strips of dark fabric.
 
Started placing strips from the top down. Horns, forehead, ears. 
 Every strip was given careful consideration.

Placing strips continue and gets faster as Abby
emerges.  I can see her personality coming out.   

Then after all the strips were placed, the quilting started.. 
Hubby helped hold the quilt while I stitched the
straight lines.  

 

2 comments:

MissesStitches said...

I love your quilt! And congratulations! Quick question: how did you fasten down the pieces before you quilted them? Were all the fabrics backed with fusible?

Kathy said...

Love,love,love Abby!!! I’m so glad that you are back! Both back on line and back home!