Thursday, July 16, 2015

Basketry 101

Yes, I made a basket.   You know, it's not just anywhere you can learn to make a basket.   I took an EdVentures class yesterday.  With permission of the instructor,  I took some pictures as we went along.
After marking measured marks on the reed, we started by
weaving to the right size.  

This is Lisa F.  She was the awesome instructor.


Next we added finer reeds to lock in our shape.

Now it's time to turn the sides up.  

It's getting exciting now that we see the shape.


Weaving 7 more rows give it some color.
A
This was the hardest part.  Turning in the ends.

Lisa had special tips tools to help turn in the darn ends in.
Worked great!!

Another of Lisa's tips to hold the rim.  Zipties.
Wonderful.

Voila, my beautiful basket.  It's small - maybe 5 inches by 8 inches.
Perfect for quilting notions.

With the beginner class behind me, I'm  up to do this
Market Basket class when there is enough for a class.
It's beautiful. 

3 comments:

Diane B. said...

Hi Gail, I love the baskets that you are doing. Diane

Donna's chitchat said...

awe, its beautiful. I love it. Congrats on your success... and I love the future basket!

MissesStitches said...

Beautiful job! I like it.