Thursday, August 28, 2008

What's on your IPOD?

It's been since the end of June, that I haven't been able to run because of a bum knee... but I do go for a 45 minute walk almost every day. One thing I can say for sure, is that when you see me walking, I'll always be sporting my old Gen2 green IPOD nano. You might think I am listening to music, but more than likely I'm not. I have regular Podcasts that I listen to every week. Just keeping up with those podcasts keeps me walking, believe it or not.

I'll tell you about a couple podcasts that I listen to. I subscribed to all of them through itunes. The first the podcasts I subscribe to is TWIP. This Week In Photography. While I'm nowhere near a professional photographer, I love my camera and I can't tell you how much I enjoy the antics of these professional photographers. There are usually 2 or 3 in the podcast and they always have a topic of the week. Their podcast is usually 1 hour long, so I try to save that for my long walks so I can listen to it all and not have to stop listening, because I've arrived home after about 45 min. I'm one or 2 podcasts behind, but today, the topic on TWIP was shooting pictures of wildlife. So, after about 15 or 20 minutes of camera news, gadgets, copyright talk, they spend time talking about the subject of photographing in the wild. One of the things I learned, is that when you photograph big birds like eagles in flight.. - you know, sometimes, they are sitting in a tree.... sit and watch for the bird to poop. Apparently, it's common knowledge that just before a bird takes off in flight, they relieve themselves of any extra weight and when you see that... you know, the bird will be lifting off and you can be ready for your shot.. Well, they tee hee'd about that on the podcast today... I couldn't help laughing outloud with them. TWIP's major sponsor is audible.com and any twip listener gets to download a free audiobook so they always do a book review of a book that one of the hosts listen too. I didn't get to finish today's podcast so I'll listen to the rest tomorrow while on my walk over to the Fredericton Craft Council outdoor Craft show.

Another podcast that I listen to, is the Oprah soul series. These are short 20 or 25 minute podcasts and there's usually 2 or 3 parts, so it ends up being 1 to 1.5 hours of listening. In these podcasts Oprah interviews very spiritual or interesting people. The other week, I listened to Oprah interview Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor. This gal, is a highly trained brain surgeon, with more degrees than you can shake a stick at. A lot of her practice was treating stroke victims. Well, you guessed it, one day, while getting ready to go to work, she had a stroke. She survived, but it was a long and hard recovery. So, this was what Oprah was interviewing her about. It was an amazing interview. Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor is an amazing person and has such energy and now I understand better about dealing with people in the hospital. Also, she had to learn everything, as if she was a baby. It made me think of how Baby Aurora learns things every day. Dr. Jill now has a book out to talk about her experiences. If you can, sign up for Oprah's podcast and download the 3 part interview. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: