Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Case for the Kobo

Note:  These directions are for the Kobo with the button that flips the pages... not the Kobo Touch.  A picture tutorial to make an envelope case for the Kobo Touch can be found here.
---------------------------------
You might have expected this.   Today, hubby drove me to the store and took his Kobo to read in the car while I was in the store.  We realized that we needed a carrying case.   So, when we got home, I whipped this little case.    See,  I had made a case last year for a friend (hi Jill) and used the Moda Bakeshop Bookkeeper pattern.   I really liked using the fun red colors and the chance to use the nice fancy stitches on my sewing machine.      


But since this is my hubby's kobo,  I used more masculine colors.  I then measured and adjusted the pattern sizes for the Kobo.   Too simple.  Took me less than half an hour using scraps that were on my table.... (could this look similar to the church quilt I'm working on....ha ha). 

Just in case you have a Kobo and want to make one, here are some details.  
  • The size of fabric sandwich you need to start with is 14.5" x 9.5"
  • After quilting, trim down to 13.75" x 8.75" 
  • Apply binding along one of the shorter edges 
  • Fold this short side with the binding up about 4.25" to form the pocket for your Kobo. 
  • Stitch the pocket sides about 1/8" to keep from shifting while binding.
  • Then starting at the bottom corner, add binding to three sides. 
 
Closed size is 8.75" x 5.25"


8 comments:

Linda H said...

Very nice! Very nice indeed!

Anonymous said...

Any chance you might make another masculine kobo for sale or trade? My mom's partner got a Kobo and needs a cover. I was thinking maybe you "need" some nice home made greeting cards...

Jill

Calicojoan said...

I just got a Nook Color and this would be perfect for it too. Thanks

Donna's chitchat said...

Geesh, duh.... I was whining that I couldn't find a case for my iPad anywhere in Greenwood. WHAT WAS I THINKING.... I can make one!!! thank you for posting this.. I am excited and will have a fun weekend project!

Kathy said...

I should have known!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
K

Phili4.8 said...

Oh that is exactly what I was looking for! My daughter is getting one for her birthday next week and I know she will need a case! Sewing room here I come!!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! I was searching for ideas for homemade Kobo cases.

Steph W said...

Thanks for this tutorial!