This kitchen picture was taken in 2007 when we had the counter tops changed. I recall being so pleased. I look at it now, and I say to myself, "what was I thinking?"
And here is what it looks like today.
|After - Cabinets are Antique White. I love my little awning.|
Here are some details and a few pictures that I took along the way.
We took a slow pace to do the project. A month. Each Monday, we started a new phase and would work hard for two or three days, then clean up and take a break. Then we would visit the hardware store to buy supplies for the next phase. Some will asked what cabinet paint we used. We chose Beauti-tone cabinet and kitchen paint with the help of our local Home Hardware paint specialist. It was one of the premium paints that had a primer in it. Before we even started to paint, we had a days worth of preparation work to do. After removing the doors and hardware, we cleaned all the cupboards and frame with TSP. Then, we did a light hand sanding of everything. We used tack cloth to wipe up the dust. We applied painters tape on the walls around the cabinets, covered my wood floors and took a deep breath. Then after all that we painted. Two coats. The doors took the longest because they have a front and a back. The frames went pretty quick.
|Our garage turned into a cabinet door painting studio. |
It worked great! This is half of our cupboard doors.
|Week 1 - Phase I - Painting the Pantry and Island frame. |
The doors are in the garage drying.
|Week II - Phase II - Upper and lower cabinets. The Doors are in the garage|
|Week III - Auditioning dining room wall colors. |
We chose a color in between these two shades of grey.
|Week III - Phase III - Wallpaper gone, priming walls done.|
We paint the next day.
|Phase III - two coats of wall color done. |
The green painters tape is still up. This was our most tiring day.
Two coats in one day might have too much for us.