Thursday, November 6, 2008

Chili Con Carne and the Wheat stitch

Since I've been doing my crazy quilted Christmas sock, I go to Karen South Crazy Quilt Blog and others for inspiration. I think looking at pictures of others work, is better than any book. Although I love the Judith Baker Montano Elegant Stitches book. Last night I learned the Wheat Ear Stitch out of that book and love it. I tried my new Sassa Lynn varigated threads too and love them equally if not more than the Stef Francis threads. The color changes are frequent, almost every other stitch. This color thread is called flower garden. I got them from Evening Star designs.

Anyway Karen South has a bit of a Chili recipe challenge on her blog and is asking for our favorite chili recipes. One recipe there has chocolate in it, and another cinamon. If you read down a few days at Karen's chili recipe, it has spagetti in it. She thought everyone made it that way. I just make plain old chili con carne. It's easy and we like it. Here's my recipe.

Chili con Carne (for 6)
1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 19-oz can tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
1 large can of kidney beans, drained
1 tablespoon chili powder (or less)
1 tsp salt

Lightly fry ground beef, onion and green pepper. Drain of fat. Then add the rest of the indgredients and simmer for 1 hour. When I was a kid, Mom served this over rice, but now I either eat it by itself or have it over a green salad with taco chips.

This might make for a nice make-ahead meal for when the kids are here this weekend. Great idea Karen.

5 comments:

Karen 's World said...

Thanks for posting your recipe. I really have enjoyed reading all the different versions. I've added your name to the drawing!

Tracey said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I would love some help collecting fabric selvages. I am not in any hurry for them, just whenever you have a collection ready to send. Contact me when you are ready and I will send you my mailing address. Thanks for your help! I couldn't do this without you!

Susan said...

Your wheat ear stitches look great. I love my Sassa Lynne threads, too. I probably have close to 200 of them now, and still don't think I have enough! =) They make everything look better!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.