Thursday, February 4, 2010

A baby quilt finally has a baby to cuddle.

Early in the week I went to visit a young soon-to-be mom. I used to be good friends with her aunt who took her in over 20 years ago, when she had lost her dad, and her mom suffered in a hospital with illness. So I knew this young girl when she was about the age of my older grand children. And I lost touch over the years with her and my friend when we moved.

Shes now living on her own, and in university. The minute I saw her, and her familiar smile, she said, "I remember going to your house, and doing crafts in your sewing room ". I really don't remember her coming over that often, but she does. She looked the same, just all grown up. It was so nice to see her.

I made her some bibs, taggie blankets, a ribbony baby ladybug and some receiving blankets. I took her the Baby Take Along bag that I showed you recently here. It was filled with things she might need in the hospital. As well, I brought her some things from Patience and things that I no longer need around since Baby Aurora is no longer a baby.

This young Mom to be was so pleased, she said "You made all this for me!! Oh, Thank You, Thank You!" I was so touched by her appreciativeness and as we said our good byes, I thought to myself, that's it, I have to make her a baby quilt.

She's such a nice young lady and her boyfriend seems nice too. She doesn't have anyone close to her who is a quilter. So, that's going to be my job. I'll make a nice baby quilt for her.

Of course, this week, I said to myself, that I wouldn't start anything new. In my mind, I said, I sure I have a UFO of some sort..So in thinking in terms of of baby quilts, last year I was on a mission to make 3 of these Nancy Halvorson baby quilts. I found out, that after having half of the blocks done for the 3 quilts, 2 of the 3 babies that I was intending to make the quilt for, turned out to be boys. I quickly lost my enthusiasm to make these quilts although I love the pattern. After all this, I had intended to just use the blocks and put them together to make Aurora a twin size quilt, but I have something else in mind for her single bed now. The blocks, fabric, pattern sat in a pizza box... now a UFO.

Yesterday, I took out the blocks and sorted out what I had done, and what was left to do. It took considerable effort to sort through my papers, notes, fabric strips, blocks (all times 3) and find out where I had left off. I did get blocks sorted and I have almost finished the center of the quilt. The name goes in the larger block that has the darker outline'. Since I don't know this precious baby girls name, I'll wait and applique her name on when she is born in early April. The minute I hear, I'll be ready to swing into action and it won't take long to applique her name, layer, machine quilt and bind.

So, one of these baby quilts finally has a baby that it will snuggle soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The French gourmet cheese Bleu d'Auvergne has a wonderful aroma, a rich taste; the saltiness increases with the incidence of veining. The overall flavor is piquant but not overly sharp. Bleu d'Auvergne started life as an imitation of Roquefort, using cow's milk in place of sheep's milk. Legend has it that a peasant, around 1845, decided to inject his cheese with a blue mold that he found growing on his left-over bread (the motto being, waste not, want not). And thus, the gourmet cheese Bleu d'Auvergne was born. This French gourmet blue cheese comes from the region of Auvergne and the cheese is made from milk of Salers and Aubrac cows. The rind is very thin and so the cheese is usually wrapped in foil. The cheese is rich and creamy with a pale yellow color and scattered holes and well-defined greenish-blue veining. We cut and wrap this cheese in wedge of 8 ounces and 1 pound.

buy fresh blue cheese

[url=http://riderx.info/members/buy_5F00_fresh_5F00_blue_5F00_cheese.aspx]buy fresh blue cheese[/url]

http://riderx.info/members/buy_5F00_fresh_5F00_blue_5F00_cheese.aspx