Well almost complete.
This evening, I completed my Weed Wacker test blocks. I'm glad that I read Bonnie Hunters directions, especially where she warns about the accuracy of the quarter inch seam.
I stitched these test blocks sewing as accurate as I possibly could. The width on all four blocks was right on, but the measurement on the other direction was a bit short, by up to a quarter inch. Because there are 5 horizontal seams, the margin for error is greater.
It's almost perfect, but I'll do a couple more test blocks and even though I'm using my straight stitch throat plate, I'll move my needle over to the right by one notch. I recalled that hint from a friend, Geraldine who is in the Miramichi guild. She told me that a few years ago, and now I finally get to use that tip. Anyway, that should give me the perfect skinny quarter inch seam.
I wanted to get a sense of the colors as well. These earth tones seem a bit bland, so when I go fabric shopping for earth tones for this quilt, I'm going to be sure to put a bit more color. I've decided to go with between 15 and 20 fabrics. In these four blocks I used 8 fabrics and even though it was a test, I found 8 a bit limiting.
Ahh, after doing this little test, I know so much more about my project and I'm looking forward to getting the fabric and start cutting. I am hoping to get the fabric and a kit cut before we go on vacation early next month. Sewing will not start until after Halloween.
Quilts, Quilts, Quilts.
1 day ago