Friday, January 4, 2013

An Itsy Bitsy Rag Doll

It's Friday.   I normally go to coffee on Friday mornings with the Friday Girls.  But school is still out, and our first coffee break of the new year is not until next Friday!

So, what would I do with my morning?  I made a little rag doll.  I hand stitched her face before I cut her out and sewed her up.   It's sort of a test to see if it might be a good project for my kiddos sometime.

This little one is only about 9 inches and I love her skinny little legs and arms.  She's not done, but I realize now that it's too small.  I can hardly stuff the arms and legs.  And I know the kids will never be able to stuff her.  I know that I'll have to find a larger rag doll for the kids.   I'll finish stitching up this little doll,  give her some hair, make a little dress and give her a name.    I'll show this little one to you again when she's done.

Source:  Itsy Bitsy - free pattern pieces from here

3 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

if You roll up some placemat fleece in a roll and stitch it to the end of the legs/arm before they are turned right side out... when you do turn the arms/legs with the stuffing on it ... it is stuffed without too much trouble. My sock monkey pattern has that trick written in it, and i tried it and it works for the tail.

Sandra said...

Several years ago a group of us got involved in a project for the paediatric unit at DECH. One of our group made up a basic doll form, all limbs attached, with a seam in the side of the torso left open, and I took those (about 80 of them) and stuffing and some wooden spoons/dowels/large school paintbrushes and I enlisted help at my daughters elementary school. Over several lunch-times periods, I had about 25 kids each stuff one, two or three of those. We used poly stuffing (I think)torn into small chunks. The kids were eager to work on this project, the dolls were "multi-cultural", so that lead social studies discussions...
The dolls were then (sewn up)delivered to DECH and the doctors used them for their young patients to show where an incision would be, or patients could demonstrate where a "hurt" was. The dolls remained "undressed", however patients were encouraged to draw faces on their dolls.

Diane B. said...

Hi Gail, I love your little doll...Maybe you could just make little fat legs and easier to stuff...cute little face...Diane..