Friday, January 18, 2013

I love a Coin Purse

As you probably know by now, in addition to making quilts, I like to make all kinds of small projects.  I think you'll like my latest creation. 

For years I had a little coin purse smaller than this one.  I used to keep my American money in it.  My old colleague Julie and I used to do a bit of shopping whenever we went on business travel to the USA.   She used to make fun of me with my little purse, but it was perfect for carrying my wad of bills and coins.  A few years ago, while snow-birding in the USA, I lost it. I was sick about it.  I had that little coin purse for about 10 years or more!!   I looked everywhere.  Twice, I traced my steps at the outlet mall asking store employees if anyone had found it and turned it in.  No luck.  

Well, you guessed it, I made one.    It's made using a purchased frame.  It's about 4.5" wide and it opens quite wide.   The fabric, lining, batting were gifts to my stash from my Friday Girlfriends. (No, you can't have it back :)  I have a sizable silk ribbon stash, so I thought how nice ribbon would be when applied to this woven fabric.  Isn't it cute!

Unless you buy a purse frame in a kit, you don't get a pattern to make the purse.  I didn't realize this when I bought my frame, so I had to make a pattern to fit the frame.  That was a bit of a tricky process, but after a bit of trial and error, I think I can do it now for any size and shape of frame.  I purchased a pattern online for a different style of coin purse but for a similar style frame, so I'm anxious to try that pattern.  I'll show it to you next week when I get it done.


2 comments:

Linda said...

Love your coin purse. Very cute!

Joanne said...

It's absolutely lovely! I love the contrast of the woven fabric and the "delicate" silk ribbon.