Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sewing for the sake of sewing

I'm completely in between sewing projects. The warm days are definitely slowing down my sewing efforts. Although I do have a couple of projects that I'm preparing to work on.
.
First I saw this great Goose quilt called "Flying Home" on the Miramichi Quilt Guild webpage that I just fell in love with. This will be a perfect quilt for my bed at the cottage. We watch flocks of geese often and love the nature of it all. I'm starting to collect fabrics I'll just start to sew this bed size quilt when I get all the fabrics. I've already started to sort through my stash to see what I have and what I need to buy.
.

Next, I'm hoping some quilting blogger will have a Christmas in July challenge. If you know of one, let me know via comments. Although, I am going to sew a "Christmas in July" project one way or another. The project I have chosen is Karen's Yuletide Jewel. When I go to PEI after Canada Day, I intend to buy Christmas fabric for it. There's a quilt shop called "The Quilt Gallery" there. My favorite line of Christmas fabrics this year, is Fruitcake by Moda. I hope they have it. I've never been to the Mill River area of PEI, so I'm sure visiting this quilt shop will be one of the highlights.
.

And for lack of anything else to sew right now, I sewed some nine-patches today. I'll put these together into 2 separate table runners like the one I've shown here. They'll be different colors than this one shown, depending on what's in my stash. I will use these as free-motion practice pieces. I want to really get to know how to do this very nice and versatile background free motion technique - McTavishing. The best one of the two runners will go to my sister. I hope to have both runners completed by the end of July when she comes through town.

So, what are you planning to do this summer?

6 comments:

MissesStitches said...

Both the flying geese quilt and the ornament look very appealing. I'm going to check out those websites, too.

pwl said...

There's a slight error in your link to McTavishing. :)

Karen said...

Hi, Gail - can hardly wait to see what you get for the Yuletied Jewel project. You will LOVE The Quilt Gallery in O'Leary - it's huge. Plan lots of time for that stop!

Tamara said...

Is there a published pattern for that Flying Home quilt? Or are you "winging" it? It really is striking!

GailM. said...

Ha Ha Tamara... Winging it!! This pattern can be found in this book
http://www.amazon.ca/Book-Quick-Rotary-Cutter-Quilts/dp/0848724674

Tamara said...

Thanks, Gail. You have some beautiful things on your blog. Thanks for sharing!