Sunday, December 2, 2012

Christmas stockings - 1 down 68 to go

Love my Sissix star die
My fellow Cotton Mill Guild members and I are working on a special project this coming week.

We were asked last week by a rather new Seniors Care home and residence to help them out by sewing some small Christmas Stockings for their 69 residents.   At first I wasn't confident that we could do it, but a quick email to our members brought 9 or 10 volunteers.    So the planning begins.

I measured and tested to get 70 of biggest lined socks I could out of the material provided.  It turns out to be about 10 inches tall.  I'm pleased with that.  I've made a prototype sock.  A beautiful silk like fabric with slight color blocking.

Fused stars on beautiful silk (or silk like)
While I love the look of simple white silk stockings, I think for the seniors, it needed a bit of something.   Out comes my Sizzix.   I have less than five dies, but one of them is stars.  So red stars it is.  I like the look of the prototype better.    I'll fuse fabric and pre-cut a few hundred stars before our sewing workday begins on Tuesday.

We will sew assembly line style in the large activity room at the Seniors residence.  Even though, this was a last minute request, I know we'll all feel good for doing this for the seniors.
I like the red stars on the silk fabric.

If you are in the area of the Terraces Seniors Home (just past the Willie O Arena), why not drop in to say hi.  We'll be there from 9am to 3pm.  All are welcome.

So, 1 down, 68 to go.


4 comments:

PaintedThread said...

A nice, clean, simple design. I am sure the recipients will be delighted!

Kathy said...

Does this mean that you/we don't need any more donated fabric?

Donna's chitchat said...

I will be there..... in my heart... :-(

Sandra said...

That's a lovely gesture. God bless you all.