Friday, April 10, 2009

Pecan meal - I never heard of it!

While in the Carolinas, I came across a store called Stuckey's. They seem to specialize in Pecans and had many products, mostly candy, that were made from their own grown pecans. I spoke to the cashier and asked about the nuts. I told her my sister loves pecans and she said "What is your sister's name?" I told her Donna. Then she went on and on how Donna would like these nuts, as if she new Donna. So I got them. Then the husband of this girl came out of a back room and caught the the last bit of the conversation as I was putting my change in the pocket. He said, "if your sister is really a pecan lover, she would be disappointed if you didn't bring her some of this to try" and he handed me this bag of Pecan Meal. He said most people cook sweet things with it, but he said, if you put some in the coating of your southern fried chicken, or corn bread, you'll be very glad you did. Well, I didn't like to say, "We're from the North, and we would never make southern fried chicken, or cornbread for that matter", but I thought it would be a unique and different sort of gift for my little sister. So I bought it with a short comment, "Really, how nice".
I know Donna will probably eat the fancy half pecans right out of the bag, but it'll be interesting to see what she does with the Pecan meal.

5 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

I have never heard of pecan meal, but I know I can use it for pie crust, and also for backlava..the whole pecans... I am just going to EAT.... yum.. I can't wait until the kids leave so I can open them. hee hee

Donna's chitchat said...

oh and I forgot to say, thank you, for such a cool gift.... I love pecans...yum

Thearica said...

Donna...You need to fry your sister up some southern fried chicken and make her some of that yummy cornbread! :)

Gail..I have you signed up for my give away! I'll make a deal with you..Make one pone of that corn bread and I will sign you up twice..lol :)

Thearica said...

Looking forward to seeing that pone of corn bread! :)

tip: sugar adds an extra good flavor to cornbread...a little daba do ya! :)

Linda H said...

Gail, Stuckeys is an old well established business in the South. I can remember my parents bringing home Stuckeys pecans and treats when they travelled to Florida in the 60's and 70's. I'm surprised you have not come across them before...
Lucky Donna!