Signature Sugar Cookies
2 cups flour1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and shortening together until creamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Whisk egg, milk, and vanilla together. Slowly add to the butter mixture.
- Turn mixer to low, and add the flower mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
- Flatten the dough to a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Roll out and cut with cookie cutters.
- Place into greased or parchment sheets
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Let cool, then ice with royal icing.
- Let dry for several hours.