Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Holly, Geese, Flowers

Every day for the past week, the rose bushes are bursting with blooms. There are puddles of blooms under each bush so I thought, it must be spring here and these blooms will soon be gone. Already the daffodils are done.
I always stop and admire this holly hedge on 11th Avenue. It must be 50 feet long. It's so impressive. Do you think that holly bushes should smell like Christmas. I smelled. Well, they don't smell like anything. And I would think that we should be able to grow these in NB. Do we? I'm not sure I've ever seen any of these bushes in our area. The leaves are stiff and very prickly.
Just around the corner from the Holly Hedge, there are a couple of ponds.. The Canada Geese are still hanging around. Every day, I say, "Time to head north". Obviously, they know better. We'll take our cues from these guys. When we see they're gone, we'll go too.

3 comments:

Linda G said...

Now that is what I miss. Flowers! We have lots blooming inside but the snow is still deep. No sign of ground. Some of the geese have made it back though. We have 3or 4 holly bushes here. They do well but some winters they get damaged so they don't get as big.

Linda H said...

Are you sure those are roses? The leaves don't look like rose leaves to me, more like camellias. Yes we do have Holly here- my neighbour has two, so does LaVerne. I long for spring and I'd be happy to see crocuses and daffodils, let alone roses!!!

Linda G said...

Isn't that funny Linda I was going to ask the same thing about the camellias but decided that I couldn't see enough detail and there are so many kinds of roses...
Camellias are even better, more exotic and more dreams of warmer climes....