In yesterday's post, I showed a great quilt made from a simple block. Or I should say it looks simple. I had a little hodge podge of 1.5 inch strips on my cutting table, so without anything else planned for today, I thought I'd try to make a small card table topper cloth. I was using my new Juki TL98Q for sewing strips together. I have on order from my dealer, a 1/4 inch foot without a side on it but for today, I used the 1/4 inch foot that has the side guide.
I was quickly getting through the first set of sewing strips together. I ironed, and sewed each pair of strips together again and ironed. I had all that done in less than an hour. When I measured the width of the strips, I was surprised to see that it was only 4.25". My friend Lee pointed out in a comment on yesterday's blog, the math told me that it should be 4.5" wide. I quickly realized that my problem is that I didn't do a 1/4 inch test on my new machine. I'm surmising that with each of the 3 seams in the small blocks, my1/4 seam was just a few threads too big. Compound it over 3 seams, and that's where my other 1/4 inch went.
I guess this little project has become my 1/4 inch test. So, after sewing the 4 little blocks together, the finished block is only 8". So I'll finish this little topper by using a slightly less than 1/4 inch to see if I can keep the illusion of equal size strips. Tomorrow I'll add the side triangles, sew the blocks together and add a couple of small borders. I'm planning to machine quilt on the new Juki on Thursday. Stay tuned to see a finished topper later this week.
I will do a "real" 1/4" test when I get my new foot.
1 hour ago