Saturday, May 8, 2010

Grace - The Fashion Designer

When Grace and her sister and brother were here on Friday, Grace came to me quietly and asked if I had a busy week ahead. I said it was going to be so so, and so I asked, "What's up Grace?" She told me she was invited to a birthday party on May 15th and was asked to wear her favorite outfit. There will be a fashion show at the party. She's been thinking about it all week and decided she wanted to make a party dress and needed my help.


After we finished our teacher appreciation gifts, Grace dug out my great crayola twistie markers and paper and started to draw a number of dress styles. She wanted my opinion. She said she has a design in her head but none of these dresses was it. She was having trouble.

So, we went up in my sewing room, and reviewed the dress patterns that I had. She found a nice sundress that she liked. This afternoon, we went shopping for the perfect fabric at Fabricville. After looking through many racks of floral fabrics, we found this one. And Grace knew it was speaking to her. A beautiful pink and purple on black fabric with whimsical flowers. The pink fabric will be a sash/belt that goes around the middle and ties into a bow in the back.

I'll cut this out this sundress and make it by Wednesday afternoon when she'll come over for a fitting. Stay tuned on Wednesday for Part II = The fashion shoot.

5 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

I love the fabric. I remember, my kids would design their clothing, and then I would hang up the designs for inspiration. (Secretly, I would get a dress pattern from my box, or from the store, and use it for the real sewing). They never knew I didn't make those from scratch... . The one criteria in Stephanie's designs... twirlability.. needed major twirl height. This usually meant.. major amounts of fabric and sometimes ruffles at the bottom. Oh, the late 80's ... fun fun

Can't wait to see the end results...

Joanne said...

You are such a good Grandmother!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Pretty fabric!

Quilting Queen said...

What a talented young lady...can't wait to see her fashionable dress. You are a great granma....

Mary Johnson said...

How fun! I'm always impressed with people who can make clothing.

Anonymous said...

I would like it very much if you would be my grammie. (joke) But I can see how these children love spending time with you. I can't wait to see the finished dress. Lucy