Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Bookkeeper

Last summer I saw this really sweet pattern on the Moda Bake shop website. It was called a bookkeeper. It is intended to hold a kindle or novel style book. I have been looking for something that will nicely hold my Weight Watcher booklets, flyers, points guides, and food logs. I tried making a prototype folder that had slots for each kind/size of book. I knew it was too complicated, but kept my books in this prototype for lack of a better place. I would keep my eye out for a better solution.


With all the talk of fitness on the Wii last week at my sisters house, I thought again of how best to store my Weight Watcher books. In talking with my sister, the Moda Bake Shop's bookkeeper came to mind. When I came home, I got to work measuring the books and adjusting the pattern.

This is my version of the Bookkeeper, made especially to hold my Weight Watcher books.
.

I know that there are many quilters/sewers who are Weight Watchers, so for them, I'll let you know what I did to adjust this pattern to fit the books.


  • The starting size of the batting is 18.5" x 11".
  • Apply ten 1.5" strips instead of nine to the batting.
  • Trim the batting to 18" x 10.5" instead of 17.5 x 9.5
  • After 3 layers are together, stitch a line 5.5" up from the bottom instead of 6". This will be your fold line.
  • You will need about 6 to 8 inches more of binding than the original bookkeeper pattern calls for.

Leave me a comment and let me know if this works for you.

3 comments:

Donna's chitchat said...

adorable....

collettakay said...

Thanks for the link and the pattern! This will be great for a friend birthday that is tomorrow. I was trying to decide what to make her and this will be perfect!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.